1. Home
  2. /
  3. I want to give...

I want to give my daughter or son part of my land. How do I do this?

You will need to divide your property. First, we would assess the ability to do a legal division. We will need to know the history of the parcel and review the property for any covenants or deed restrictions that would prohibit further division of the parcel. We will have to consult with the municipal land use ordinance to see what the lot zoning requirements are for a buildable lot. A gift of land (a lot division) from a parent to a child is almost always exempt from municipal subdivision review, but we will help you answer that question as well. We will work with you to help convey your child a buildable lot, survey the parcel being gifted or conveyed, and prepare a description of the land being gifted or conveyed, which your attorney will use in preparing a deed and the transfer papers.